US Doctrine and the AIDS Crisis
by KenRichard2002

The American Secretary of State,  Mr. Colin Powell, has stated in the past that Africa's AIDS crisis is a national security matter for the United States.
The President of the United States, Mr. George Bush, has stated in the past that the United States was providing $16 billion or so in a global war against AIDS.
A former CIA propaganda chief,  currently serving as the director of National Public Radio, (NPR), under the purview of Michael Powell,  son of the Secretary of State,  (who is currently serving as the director of the Federal Communications Committee, (FCC)), aired a news blurb recently in which it was briefly reported that an estimated 200,000 Africans were contracting HIV in African hospitals from contaminated needles.

If the news account is accurate, I would argue that the United States could provide protection against this form of virus transference for a few million dollars a year.  Single use,  safety locking needles cost approximately 17 cents a piece in bulk.  The infrastructure for their use,  clinics and hospitals, is clearly in place.   I would also argue that 200,000 infected people are likely to pass HIV on to other individuals each year and the cumulative effect from this form of transference alone would be horrific.

I can tell you from direct observation that waste blood product has been removed from the garbage bins of blood transfusion centers in Southern Africa by at least one South African,  whom I personally observed grabbing bags of blood product from trash bins and placing them into the trunk of his Mercedes-Benz.   And it has been reported that an international mafia has sold contaminated blood product originating in Africa to the medical markets of Asia, after having fraudulently mis-labeled the product in route a couple of times.

I would suggest to you that the AIDS crisis is likely akin to a fuel/air bomb:  the fuel/air bomb releases fuel and accellerants into the air; this mixture disperses further in the atmosphere further through dissipation; a missile is then fired into this atmospheric mixture to ignite the combustibles.    HIV,  dispersed through a population, in this example, through contaminated needles, further spread by sexual contact, leaves the effected population in a highly vulnerable state to any subsequent viral *missiles* which could ignite a rapid holocaust through the population.

Given all that,  one must wonder why the United States, which claims that the AIDS crisis is a national security threat, and with all it's wealth, would rest on it's laurels and cooly observe this tragedy as it unfolds.  One suggestion might be that such a tragedy will radically reverse what the United States government viewed as an unfavorable demographic trend.  In fact, population projections for African nations have already fallen into negative numbers.

And it has been reported in South African studies that the AIDS crisis will create a huge vacuum at the managerial level.    The United States has reported that it is developing plans to introduce mechanized production to what is today a very labor intensive African agricultural industry.   The US Congress has been attempting in recent years to cut federal subsidies on domestic farm production,  with little success.   The eventual and probably future reduction in farm subsidies of northern, mid-western and southern states would in all likelihood drive up domestic food prices to a level which could support large scale agricultural production in overseas colonies.  That production would in all likelihood benefit US and British agricultural combines,  and the agriculture destined for American,  British Commonwealth  and Central European markets.

Specious, aggressive ideological arguments immediately come to mind:  science has determined that our origin is in Africa;  we have fed Africa, why shouldn't Africa feed us?;  there will result a surplus of cheap food available for African consumption; there's no standing in the way of progress; we are bringing civilization to Africa; we are on a humanitarian mission; Africa's leadership has failed her populations miserably; etc., etc., etc.,.

Truly democratic peoples and movements should support the indigenous leadership of foreign nations.  In some cases,  these leaders have been consistently, routinely and visciously demonized.  To hell with their propaganda.  Long live Robert Mugabe, his land resettlement program, his ambitious, national agricultural project and his laws and criminal penalties against those knowingly transfering HIV to the unsuspecting.