Re: Support Our Troops
by GlobalCirclenet

I think Stan Goff just put an end to that "support the troops" idiocy.

--paul, webmaster http://globalcircle.net
peace and liberty, sustainability and justice

get daily Global NetNews Summary - email to:
globalnetnews-summary-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
OR globalnetnews-summary-subscribe@lists.riseup.net
=====================================

Supporting the Troops- by Stan Goff
http://www.freedomroad.org/milmatters_13_supporting.html

...This hasn't been an easy time for Bush and his killer clowns. It
hasn't been an easy time for a lot of so-called liberals either. An
anti-war movement came onto the scene, and not just any anti-war
movement. It is now the fastest and broadest international movement
of its type in history. It involves anarcho-kids, olde tyme lefties,
and pacifists to be sure, but it also involves soccer moms, Black
preachers, Italian dock workers, women who write books, nerds,
doctors, Indian garment workers, Nigerian intellectuals, Brazilian
coffee pickers, Japanese students, Haitian peasants, Filipino street
cleaners...every damn body!

And that's not all. Lots of them are picking up bad language. When I
hear a 60-year-old middle school teacher using words like
"imperialism,"...[I know] that something is going on, and those who
wanted every one of the rest of us to just go along with the program,
including weak-kneed red-baiting liberals, have become alarmed.
There's a very dangerous consciousness that is emerging in the face
of our would-be fascists.

So now they have pulled out the last trick in the bag, the one that
is supposed to silence us for good, by jingo! We have to support the
troops. This is the mother of all social policing strategies to
stifle criticism of our naked emperors.

It goes, we must close ranks and support our president, who is after
all the commander-in-chief of the armed forces (our sons and
daughters, our sisters and brothers, our spouses and sweethearts),
because without that support, our (enter name of your loved one in
the military) will not be adequately filled with our spirit of
support to effectively defend themselves, whereupon lack of said
spirit will result in American casualties, which makes all of us who
withhold said spirit complicit in killing and wounding American
troops, and therefore traitors.

Let me explain something, by way of a war story.

In 1983, I took part in the invasion of Grenada. Aside from being an
incompetent operation, it was also one that no one in the United
States even knew about until it was pretty much over. Hey -- it
doesn't take long to conquer a nation that is on a ten-mile-wide
island with fewer than 90,000 people...even if it was planned by
idiots.

When America was informed that its treasure and youth were being
risked to secure the global nutmeg supply, over 99 percent of the
country couldn't tell you where Grenada was. We who conducted the
operation had committed it to memory less than 40 hours earlier.

The invasion was ordered in part to take advantage of internal
turmoil in Grenada to install a new pro-US government. Mainly,
however, its aim was to flex a little American muscle after 258
Marines were killed by a car bomb only days earlier in Beirut,
whereupon the US expeditionary force in Lebanon was unceremoniously
withdrawn.

Like a bully that gets his tail kicked, Reagan & Co. had to beat
someone smaller down to save face.

The whole thing suddenly became a "rescue mission" when someone
stumbled over a low-rent offshore medical diploma mill full of
American students and Reagan's staff cranked up the propaganda
machine. None of us involved in Operation Urgent Fury (not
joking...it was called that) had even known the damn thing was there.

The first hour of the operation was an old-fashioned country
ass-whuppin'. We were on the receiving end.

We were forced to defend ourselves. But we didn't have the "support"
spirit of the American people, because as far as they knew, we were
all still home, cheating on our spouses in Fayetteville, North
Carolina. America woke up scratching its head, trying to figure out
why Ronald Reagan had just invaded a Spanish city named after a Ford
compact.

When the helicopter I was riding on with 15 other people reached the
island, we were greeted with small arms fire before we even crossed
over the first mangrove swamp, and it got worse fast. By the time we
reached out "target," Richmond Hill Prison, where we were gong to
"liberate" prisoners that weren't there, we already had four people
shot. As we hovered over the prison, deciding whether or not to slide
down ropes into Grenada's drunk tank, machine gun fire poured through
both doors and stitched up the belly of the fuselage from below. By
the time we left, having decided not to put up with this any longer,
seven members of our group were shot, and most of the rest of us were
having our clothes shot off.

In all this mayhem and confusion, while we (the Army's most elite,
whitest forces) were being spanked by skinny Black folk from Grenada
and equally dark Cuban construction workers, I can honestly say that
I didn't give a flying fuck about what anyone in the United States
might be thinking, or how much supportive spirit they might be
psychically channeling my way to cuddle up against.

I didn't stop to consider that many of my countrymen and countrywomen
made jokes about our commander-in-chief once co-starring with a
chimpanzee, or how that might seem...unsupportive.

I was extremely busy using a K-bar knife to cut the jammed harness
off a wounded door gunner to lay his pale, shocky ass on the
helicopter floor while I commandeered his portside machine gun to
hose down some of our most persistent assailants across the valley.

Nothing I did would have changed one iota, even had the entire
population of the United States gathered naked at Stonehenge to chant
supportive mantras out to our precise geographic coordinates.

Nothing we do or don't do here will have any impact on what the
troops do in Iraq in the coming days either. The support the troops
thing is a mystifying old red herring. What our new fascists really
want us to do is shut the fuck up. What we really want is for the
troops to come home.

And shutting up is exactly what I'm not going to do.

What if I'd have been cut down in Grenada at the ripe old age of 32?
Would it have accomplished a damn thing worthwhile? In retrospect, I
have had the opportunity -- an opportunity associated with my ability
to breathe -- to learn just how cynical these military adventures are.

The best thing we can do for our sons and daughters and sisters and
brothers and spouses and sweethearts...is to tell the damn truth.
What is endangering them is a right-wing, racist, military/security
state -- including Uncle Tom and Aunt Thomasina -- that is attempting
to protect the power of the powerful by plundering other people, and
using soldiers to do it.

Goddamn George W. Bush and everyone like him! I will not be a
chauvinist who advocates victory in an illegal war where our people
and the people of Iraq are the cannon fodder and the victims. I do
not want our children to die. And I do not want them to kill other
people's children. This is not a fucking football game.

If we want to support troops, we'll do it by encouraging them to
think, and when necessary, disobey. Since Freedom Road talked me into
doing this column, we have heard from soldiers and their families.
They are thinking. They are asking questions. Many are beginning to
suspect they've been had, and that behind all this high-flown
mendacity coming out of the White House briefing room is a gangster's
errand of plunder with our children as its unwitting tools. If we
want to support the real troops, the real people, instead of the
abstraction, we'll keep connecting the dots for them, as this column
attempts to do, and as the anti-war movement needs to do.

If we start to send care packages full of books to the troops, that
would be supportive. They need something to fill the long, boring
days ahead, after the current mess is made. I can think of many
titles. I'm sure others can, too.

http://www.freedomroad.org/milmatters_13_supporting.html

Stan Goff -- Master Sergeant, US Army, Special Forces (Ret.) -- is
the author of _Hideous Dream: A Soldier's Memoir of the US Invasion
of Haiti_:
<http://www.softskull.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.100.exe/store/goff/hideous_dream.
html?E+scstore>.