Utopistics and Democratic Global Commonwealth
by g kohler

Utopistics and Democratic Global Commonwealth

Professor Wagar mentioned the lovely words "utopistics" and "democratic
global commonwealth" in a recent posting. While some of that is already
discussed in the oeuvres of Boswell and Chase-Dunn, more utopiarama would be
a nice pastime, while we are waiting for the bombs to drop. For example, how
would a democratic global commonwealth bring about a massive transition to
sustainable development? For example, how would the decision-making take
place? Canada would be a democratic republic in that global commonwealth,
and so would be USA, Angola, Iraq, and others. Would the democratic
grassroots of the world (i.e., we) all do the right thing, guided by our
reason and without any bosses (the no - archy situation)? Or guided by our
elected representatives? How would the Angolan and Canadian representatives
make sure that they have a fair hearing vis-à-vis the Chinese, Indian, and
U.S.-American brothers and sisters? How could the Canadian representative be
sure that the chief U.S. representative does not sleep with the chief
Chinese representative and rule the democratic global commonwealth in a
missionary or oriental mode of embrace? Any utopists out there?

Gert