Re: Snippets [Quick Read!]
by Threehegemons

In a message dated 3/12/2003 2:17:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ibnsubhi@yahoo.com writes:

> Some have asked for parallels between today's war with
> Iraq and the Crusades.  This is my response:
>
> We have to be careful to make historical parrallels
> that stretch over 8 centuries.  But since you asked
> let me make the following observations:

The crusades also dramatically hardened differences between Eastern and Western
Christianity.  Before the crusades, there was one Christendom (albeit with
differences, squabbles about who was closest to heaven, etc), by the end, with
the indefensible (on crusaders' terms) sacking of Constantinople, there were
two, which have only very recently relaxed their hostility.  Is this relevant
to contemporary differences within the West?

Steven Sherman