Re: Thomas Friedman jumps ship
by Threehegemons

In a message dated 3/2/2003 6:31:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shepperd@austincc.edu writes:

> "And don't believe the polls. I've been to nearly 20 states recently, and
>I've found that 95 percent of the country wants to see Iraq dealt with without
>a war."
>
> Full text below of Thomas Friedman's (pathetically hedged,
> granted) disembarkation of the ship of state..

Interesting.  Two notes:  first, the fact that liberal hawks like Friedman are
wavering means the administration will really need to amp up the propaganda
before the war starts--expect some new revelation that will make it obvious to
all opinion makers that war is in fact necessary.  If done at all competently,
people like Friedman will return to the fold.

Second, did you notice who apparently managed to knock a little sense into his
head? Not the global business leaders he worships.  Not the great intellectuals
he hangs out with, like Robert Kaplan.  Not, lord knows, a dissenting voice in
the Bush administration (probably non-existent now that Colin Powell has
caved).  No, it was his wife, his defacto connection to the American public.

Steven Sherman