Re: new immanence in danger
by Alan Spector
28 February 2003 02:47 UTC

I believe that stereotypes such as the kind promoted in the message below
can only harm our attempts to build a movement.  Some anti-war people are
overweight........so, is that a good basis to insult someone? My sister gave
me an old SUV with 100,000 miles on it -- do I have to fear driving it
around (with four people inside, averaging 75 miles/gallon per person) while
some snotty elitist driving alone in a car that gets 35 miles to the gallon
(and cost how much energy to build?) and who lives in a house twice as big
as mine decides to castigate me for driving an SUV?  Fries and coke are not
healthy, but then again, German food is not that healthy either, and most of
them oppose the war. "Totally brainwashed?" Then we might as well just all
kill ourselves.

People should be criticized for their actions, and people should be
criticized if they promote untrue ideas. And that includes those who are
"convinced of their just claim for blood and oil, " as Leonard writes.

But criticizing people for these stereotyped, alleged behaviors is not
simply "being too harsh". In fact, it is not harsh enough against the people
who really should be criticized because it diverts our criticism and our
anger away from them and towards these secondary issues.

Alan Spector