Re: Powell's Exquisite Evidence: Internet Plagiarism
by Trichur Ganesh
07 February 2003 21:34 UTC

What is equally amazing is the alacrity with which the plagiarism has been
uncovered!  Eternal vigilance has perhaps never been more important or as
productive as it is today.  The more the hypocrisy is unveiled, the more it
becomes apparent, to me, what the issue is really all about.  It is not a
question of getting France or Germany behind the Bush warmaking project.
Neither France nor Germany - or Britain for that matter, though at least in
supporting the US, Blair is frank about supporting imperial designs - has
any 'moral' standing.  In their moment of 'great' history-making, they
followed policies of blood and iron in forwarding imperial projects.
Perhaps this is what really lies behind the confidence of the Bush
administration, a confidence that comes from the knowledge that the European
powers in the past flouted all norms of sovereignty as and when they wished,
in relation to geographical spaces in the Third World.  Now that the US,
following the collapse of the Soviet Empire, has become the sole superpower-
on howsoever weak the grounds on which its power role is based - why not
exercise the imperial baggage that accompanies that role when it lasts?
This role is based on (a) asserting that only the US and its allies
(including Israel) are capable of acting responsibly when the question
pertains to weapons of mass destruction, despite overwhelming evidence to
the contrary, and using a humanist rhetoric (liberation of the oppressed in
Iraq) to build a moral justification for that assertion; (b) following on
that assertion by seeking to destroy all other non-Western spaces where
weapons of mass destruction may possibly reside (North Korea is only the
first of many that may be singled out; what about India and Pakistan?)
thereby ensuring that the US and its allies have the virtual monopoly of the
means of violence; and (c) using the monopoly over the means of coercion to
renegotiate the declining US power in a global political economy dominated
by the newly emerging center of capital accumulation in East Asia.
In short, I would argue that it is the very awareness of the emergence of
East Asia as the locus of capital accumulation that is pushing the US to
re-assert its global role as imperial policeman with all the weapons of mass
destruction at its command to terrorize the rest of the world into
submission to its role. It is, I argue, a resort to the long-familiar
returns to protection, for which there will be increasing returns for a
while.  But these returns will be realized only in relation to the scale of
the operations.  It will not be adequate to just take over Iraq.   And the
language and the discourse employed will continue to utilise Enlightenment
humanism - the non-West is not mature enough to understand the implications
of having weapons of destruction, the West alone does so, perhaps these
weapons need to be deployed in the interests of the minority of the global
population against the majority of the world population.
In this insanity there is ofcourse a tremendous underestimation of the
response of the global multitudes, as well as of the growing experience of
hopelessness and frustration in an unimaginably uncontrollable world that
has no faith in the virtues of that Western humanism and military humanism
that Saskia Sassen and Bob Hebert in different and related ways, among so
many others, seek to remind us of.  Ganesh.