Re: so what?
by Boris Stremlin
02 February 2003 06:12 UTC

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 Threehegemons@aol.com wrote:

> Interesting comments.  On reflection, I would agree that scientific
> humanism produced world class art--although I am thinking more of
> dissident literature and filmmaking.

Well, there were also people like Mayakovsky and Eisenstein, who, although
persecuted at times, were in no meaningful sense dissidents from
scientific humanism.

> Ironically, all this collapsed
> with the collapse of the Soviet Bloc, and it is hard to think of any
> comparable cultural achievements that have emerged out of 'liberated'
> Eastern Europe.

Nor Russia itself, for that matter.

> I would also say that's its a quality of most belief
> systems--scientific humanism included--to oscillate between communal
> unification and the creation of a giant atomizing surveillance
> apparatus.
>
> In terms of spirituality, I was thinking of way many religious
> traditions have produced searching reflections on the relationship of
> the self to the universe.  Here I think enlightenment ideologies have
> tended to be weak, since they tend to encourage their followers to
> simply adopt a godlike position outside of and capable of remolding
> society.

Well, Enlightenment ideologies have undermined anthropocentric and
terracentric worldviews, and they have gotten people to reflect on the
links between humanity and other creatures, as well as on the vastness of
the universe and the multiplicity of worlds.  These achievements are not
to be discounted.

As for the adoption of a godlike position outside of society, I would say,
first, that all notions of the sacred involve a radical disjuncture
between the "normal" everyday world and the world of the sacred.  It is
for this reason that we expect good science (or good art) to be more than
just an execution of orders given by a political leader.  However, a
radical disjuncture is not an absolute disjuncture.  All good scientists
recognize that the conceit of Laplace's demon is just a myth, because no
real scientist stands outside of time.  The problems begin when scientists
(and scientific humanists) insist that everyone act as if this
were absolutely true, everywhere and forever; that scientists, and
scientists only, are entitled to such a suspension of disbelief.

Basically, I fundamentally agree with what you say, but I get
uncomfortable around claims that the Enlightenment as such and necessarily
is spiritually truncated compared to the "world religions", because that
is the textbook conservative critique of modernity (as you seem to
recognize below).

> While I distrust theories that draw a straight line between
> various ideas or frameworks and crimes against humanity, this way of
> thinking is compatible with the hugely destructive efforts to remold
> society so common in the twentieth century.

True, though the true destruction came when particular ideas were
hypostatized and enforced as the only correct ones.  I would also note
that the established world religions have also on occasion tried to remold
society and have been hugely destructive in doing so (e.g. Augustinian
Christianity is largely responsible for the collapse of the Roman Empire
in the West).

--
Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu