Contemporary Geopolitics
by Threehegemons

Interesting comments Boris.  I agree with most of them.  Although I think those
who believe in oil and Israel are pushing for this war, and that makes it
easier for it to go forward.

The US was sort of acting as the 'global west' in the process of the second
cold war and the democratization of Latin America--or so it at least perceived
itself.  Over the long term however, the democratic regimes in Eastern Europe
and Latin America seem more likely to benefit the EU.  Even before the election
of Lula, you could see an interest among the Latin Americans in strengthening
ties to Europe.  Europe may well take the mantle of 'western values' (revamped)
from the US.  The stance of European liberals on human rights, whatever its
limits, is more coherent than any values emenating from the US.  I should note
here, however, that I don't see any emergent EU world hegemony, as ChaseDunn
and Boswell do.  I think the EU is basically too wealthy and removed from the
problems facing subsaharan Africa, India, et al to effectively lead them.

Ganesh raises the question of the relation of the financial expansion to the
warmaking of the US.  I don't pretend to understand finance all that well, but
here's my thought--the US dollar is very strong because the US is central to
world geopolitics, the maintainer of order.  If it fails in this role, and
faith in it declines, the dollar will start to tank.  Given the ramshackle
state of the US polity, this could plausibly lead to substantial domestic
turmoil. War on Iraq is partly--maybe largely--a way of saying 'we matter, you
need us.'  It is a dumb way, a self-destructive way, but adjusting to a lower
profile role could be economically painful for the US, and people often do dumb
things in the short term to avoid pain.

Steven Sherman