Re: Lieven on Bush strategy (fwd)
by Michael Pugliese
12 November 2002 21:43 UTC

   Radio interview w/Lieven by Doug Henwood,
http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/current/0578.html

11/12/02 7:20:26 AM, Boris Stremlin <bstremli@binghamton.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 Threehegemons@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Excellent article.  I've believed for a while that Jews might defect to
the Republicans, with dramatic consequences for American politics, given the
reliance of the Democratic party on their money.  He paints a grim picture of
future politics--on the Republican side, Christian fundamentalists, Jews, as
well as the assorted capitalists and upper middle classes who support their
economic program.  On the other side, a divided, demoralized, and poorly
organized proletariat.  But what of the continuing widespread support for the
cultural program of the sixties?  For example, support for legalized
abortion.  Or consider feelings about legalizing marijuana--I've been amazed,
at fairly conservative schools I've taught at, how few students (actually
none) will speak up in defense of the status quo of maintaining its
illegality  (Jews, ironically, simultaneously agree with the nationalists of
the Republicans on foreign policy while being more sold on counterculture
values than any !
>other group in the US).  Will the Democrats be able to recover by riding
this cultural conflict? And what sort of effective strategies outside the US
might emerge? This article, after all, is a little devoid on strategy..