Re: World Systems, the Eonic Effect, and "Attractors"
by Nemonemini
29 October 2002 22:50 UTC

In a message dated 10/25/2002 9:25:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, larondin@yahoo.com writes:

This is very interesting … A bunch of good points here.  Let me add a few other ideas to the mix.  First of all, even if the book cover didn’t have the fractal, the material itself in the book would still have clearly conveyed the notion of a complex systems dynamic.  The terminology – but even more the pattern itself of what we see in the longer term of world history – is most certainly saturated with the quality of complexity/chaos.  I expect that even had you not done this research into complex systems studies and undertaken your own study/discussion/model from a very different theoretical vantage point, this aforementioned animus in the Eonic Effect still would have shone through in the text.  In any event, I agree with you:  there’s clearly a complex systems’ dynamic at work here in the Eonic pattern of world history; we’re just not sure what it is exactly (because it seems very different from the kind of patterning we’ve come to expect, even with respect to CDS).

Sorry for delay in answering.
This is undoubtedly the case. Simply keep in mind that applying actually models to anything has to be done right, or scientists will understandably not accept the claim.
In fact, what we can do is study basic tempo, and the cluster of events around that tempo.
Also, as to mimetics, I would beware of applying that here. Stick to plain diffusion issues. The reason is that we see the limits of Darwin's theory in the evidence of historical evolution.
In any case, the issue of complex systems is too vague. What is this system speaking in general terms?
We see
1. phenomena of evolution
2. these tend to match a macro type
3. there seems to be a frequency effect
4. we cannot easily resolve the causality-teleology question
5. the basic unit is 'free action', not some particle mass. Thus the macro effect is fuzzy (as indeed any population dynamics would be). But that puts us outside the realm of 'deterministic chaos', at least.

But the issue of chaos has to be there in some fashion, if only by definition.

John Landon
Website on the eonic effect
http://eonix.8m.com
nemonemini@eonix.8m.com