Re: What Russia wants
by Boris Stremlin
05 October 2002 06:48 UTC

Putin's "Peter the Great" strategy ('Westernizing' Russia by rebuilding
the authoritarian center) will continue to work only for so long as Russia
continues to cash in from it.  If investors spooked by the election of
Lula again begin withdrawing money from 'emerging markets" to cover losses
in Brazil, or if the price of oil plummets in case of a decisive US
victory in Iraq and subsequent establishment of a 'democratic' satrapy
there, Putin will begin to rethink his options quite fast.  The lack of
confidence and the fairly weak structural underpinnings of the US/Russia
alliance is obvious from the Russian news casts.  You will hear virtually
nothing about Iraq, but quite a lot about Georgia, which Putin is using as
ideological cover with the populace ('despite our acquiescence to the US,
we still can bully other countries when no one can criticize us for it,
so we are still a power to be reckoned with').

--
Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu