Re: What does the US want?
by Elson Boles
04 October 2002 17:26 UTC

First, the US has in the postwar period consistently done everywhere
"whatever it believes to be in its best interest."   And  Europeans have
frequently chaffed, France and Russia in particular, far more so in the
past than they are now.  Nothing new about that.

If Iraq had started gassing the Kurds again, then there would be far
less resistance to US action.  In fact, there would be so little
resistance that US threats to invade wouldn't even be described as
"unilateral."  Leaders would be hailing, as we did in the Gulf War and
NATO operations, the great cooperation among the core powers.  This is
one reason why this coming war isn't about US unilateral action per se,
or is so only on the surface of it.

France and Russia are using the media-hype about Bush's plans for global
empire to their advantage in bargaining for cut of the oil wealth and to
get greater say in future operations.  Why?  Because greater power means
they get a greater share of the pie, whatever the particular
circumstances.

Lastly, just as US policy has changed for the worse with Bush's team
coming into power, it may not be in power after the next elections,
which means that the hawks' *impatient* empire-building policies may not
be indicative of a middle-run pattern for the US.  Another Clinton or
Gore would see renewed "compassionate centrism."

Elson Boles