Re: questions for discussion
by Elson Boles
04 October 2002 13:38 UTC

I agree with much of Boris' contextualization of the circumstances of
the wars in a previous post.  However, there are a couple differences.
But above all, we need to address the key issue: if there are growing
differences between the US and Europe, what is the nature and
significance of these differences for the future of the world-system?

First, one disagreement with Boris on this statement: "However, the
response to the Iraqi invasion was by no means a necessary outcome."
That's a bit of a strawperson, insofar as nothing is "necessary."  My
point was, given US "national interests," that Desert Storm was much
more likely to be supported by allies than this new invasion of Iraq,
and by the same token, no action was a likely course in Rwanda.  As for
Kosovo, I mostly agree with Boris' analysis.  He points out that Clinton
was hesitant to get UN approval for the action.  However, I would add
that Clinton didn't need to take his case to the UN, because unlike
today, there was far more legitimacy to acting in Kosovo before further
more "ethnic cleansing" took place.  One doesn't go in search of
legitimacy unless one is lacking it.  Also NATO wanted to be part of the
action, which reduced the appearance of US unilateral action (even
though the continued existence of NATO is about US power in/over
Europe).  Recall  how the UK was excited about the NATO operations.

So, it was far easier to build US public support and that of allies for
military intervention against Iraq in 1990 and the Serbs than it is to
convince people today that Saddam Hussein is a threat to anyone.  Even
the Kurds oppose the idea of a US invasion.  Hence, Bush II's position
is weak, except with the majority of American people, who can be relied
upon to support a war that doesn't get too bloody.  Abroad, the US case
for the Iraqi invasion has been weak enough to give significant
legitimacy to those who protest for whatever reasons, and weak enough,
for example, to give legitimacy to Schroeder's decision to take
advantage of anti-war protest and oppose the US, so that he can get a
second term.  I suspect he wouldn't have taken that position had it not
been for the weak case the US has for invading Iraq.

But to be sure, it wasn't just or even primarily the moral high ground
that is missing in this war.  Part of the real reason for the opposition
by other allies is that this about access to oil wealth.  For example,
as I brought to your attention in an earlier post, "former CIA director
R. James Woolsey, who has been one of the leading advocates of forcing
Hussein from power.  "It's pretty straightforward, France and Russia
have oil companies and interests in Iraq. They should be told that if
they are of assistance in moving Iraq toward decent government, we'll do
the best we can to ensure that the new government and American companies
work closely with them.  If they throw in their lot with Saddam, it will
be difficult to the point of impossible to persuade the new Iraqi
government to work with them."  His views are naturally supported by the
new Iraqi government-in-waiting.  Faisal Qaragholi, the "petroleum
engineer who directs the London office of the Iraqi National Congress
(INC), an umbrella organization of opposition groups that is backed by
the United States" says that "Our oil policies should be decided by a
government in Iraq elected by the people."  Ahmed Chalabi, the INC
leader, put it more bluntly: a U.S.-led consortium needs to be created
to develop Iraq's oil fields, which would replace the existing
agreements that Iraq has with Russia and France.  "American companies
will have a big shot at Iraqi oil," Chalabi said.

Note also that Bush and company have a personal stake in unilateral
action.  According to Leroy Sievers and the Nightline Staff at ABC,
"Dick Cheney's [and George Bush's] Halliburton Co. had interests in
Iraqi oil production after the [Gulf ] war."  Not only Cheney, but also
Scowcroft and others.

But Bush et.al. has a weak case, transparent to many, hidden to most.
To get Security Council support, Bush et. al. finally had to try and get
some public moral ground by going the UN route, (which was also needed
to get the Congress' support for unilateral action).   But again the UN
route in that regard is only the surface, the one needed for public
legitimacy.  Getting that public legitimacy laid the ground work for the
real negotiations over with Russian and France.  The Bush team's
struggle is one of applying greater pressures and offering better
incentives to allies than can corporate counter-parts in Russia and
France who'll be at the loosing end of "regime change" with regard to
oil development.

The Bush team may have already succeeded.  The new resolutions show that
Russia and France are not opposed to an invasion per se.  Their
alternative resolutions are to hedge their bets.  If resolution #1
works, and Saddam is still in power and made to heel, French and Russian
corporate sponsors stand to gain more.  But if Saddam doesn't heel, they
are going to support the US invasion, and as I suspect, for doing so
they have been offered a share of the spoils.  But they know Bush will
invade with or without them, regardless of the resolutions, so they
needed to cut a deal.  The details of the deal, including the
involvement of French and Russian troops if the invasion occurs, has not
yet been disclosed, as far as I know.  The more reliance on US troops,
the larger the US share of the spoils will need to be to cover the
costs.

It must of course be admitted that allies are concerned about this
post-cold war era precedent set by US unilateral military action, that
is, invasion of a state that is "minding it's own business."  But are
they concerned only insofar as it affects access to sources of wealth?
Or do they oppose on grounds of principle?  I suspect the former.  To
the extent that this is about present and future "inter-imperialist
rivalries," then one has to question just how deep the political
differences between Europe and US elites really are.  I don't believe
this is an ideological rivalry, unlike the Cold War. I believe it only
has the potential to become that if (a) US unilateral action involves
protracted wars that lead to protracted movements that European and
other governments cannot legitimately ignore or (b) if the US hogs the
spoils of these unilateral actions, even if they are short and
contained,  and/or (c) the US wars lead to such global instability that
capital everywhere begins to take the side of the movements, at least
superficially.  Otherwise, Europe and Japan will be happy with their cut
and will insist, quite opportunistically if needed, as with Schroeder,
that there can disagreements among "friends."

However, there is also the possibility of a middle-road over the "middle
run" in which a combination of these factors leads Europe to gain the
political moral hand on the world-stage of policy with the urging of a
European left and that this takes us into an "Enlightened Global Age" of
some less-than-really-meaningful adjustments to misdistribution of
global wealth in what thus will continue to still be a
corporate-globalized empire.  In this scenario, the US will slip in
importance with grace or, like now, with a fight, but either way,
strengthening the empire by delegitimizing its own actions and making
Europeans and Japan look more civilized.

Elson Boles
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Sociology
Saginaw Valley State University