Re: World Bank Study Contradicts Its Free-Trade Income Theories
by Ricardo Migueis
06 September 2002 09:36 UTC

Stuart,
I tend to agree with what you make of the world bank analysis... to a
certain extent. However, the point of the study, in my understanding, is not
that free trade has not been implemented but to the extent that it has it
has been implemented in the wrong way.
This means that what we have to look at is exactly what are the social,
economic and political structures, which within a particular historical and
cultural context gave rise to the implementation of such wrong-headed
policies.
"self interest, political expediency, and greed." are one of the causes and
boosted consequences of it, however one should not limit its perspective or
analysis to such a narrow view of the world system.
There are specific political economy particularities which within the
national boundaries of developing countries in Africa, Latin America and so
on, have been hampering development. Plus, while the EU and the US are two
of the major players to blame, it is not fair, or even more important, not
enough to say that it's all their fault when analysing the impact of free
trade on poverty.

Respectfully,
RM

Ricardo Migueis
Editorial Coordinator
O Mundo em Português

Researcher
Euro-Latin American Forum

Editor in Chief
Open Integration Newsletter

International and Strategic Studies Institute
(Lisbon - Portugal)
Email: rlm@ieei.pt
Tel: 00351 210 306 700
Site: www.ieei.pt