A washingtonpost.com article from: alvi_saima@yahoo.com
by alvi_saima
19 July 2002 16:30 UTC

You have been sent this message from alvi_saima@yahoo.com as a courtesy of the
Washington Post - http://www.washingtonpost.com

 The impulse to begin an indigenous Somali human rights movement came after
Belgian soldiers serving with a U.N. intervention force tied up a young boy and
held him over a fire in 1993, and Italian soldiers inserted a flare inside a
woman's vagina.
=================================

 To view the entire article, go to
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28848-2002Jul18.html

 The Mother Courage of Somalia

 By Nora Boustany
 M  ariam Hussein Mohamed, a Somali woman with skin as silken as dark honey and
soft features framed by beaded locks peeking under her loose shawl, refused to
circumcise her only daughter when she was born 16 years ago, defying that
brutal tradition in her East African nation.

  The widow of   Ismail   Jumale, an activist, journalist and human rights
lawyer who died in exile in Rome in 1990, is emerging as the mother courage of
destitute Somalis. Battered women, orphans, displaced people and the
defenseless tradesmen and artisans not protected by large, powerful clans and
landowners have all become her charges.

  Before her husband's death, Mohamed contented herself with visiting poor
families on Fridays, laden with chocolates, halvah, sugar, oil and cardamom.
But just before he gave in to an ailing heart, he asked her to continue his
work and take care of abused minorities.

  She was 35, but understood that the weaker elements of Somali society needed
protection from the terror imposed by the elite tribes of herdsmen, Mohamed
said.

  " 'Promise me that after I die, you will follow in my footsteps,' he always
urged me. He always talked to me about their rights," she recalled.

  Mohamed, 47, moved by the suffering of women and children around her, has
surpassed her husband's expectations. She is not only monitoring and
chronicling human rights violations in her native Somalia but is also
organizing awareness campaigns, workshops and festivals and standing up to ad
hoc Islamic courts trying to serve up crude justice to a hapless, powerless
citizenry.

  Her recent protests and the rallying of human rights groups, journalists and
elders forced a court to back down from severing the hand of a suspected thief,
said   Dave Peterson, the senior program officer for Africa at the National
Endowment for Democracy. "She has been doing interesting and innovative work in
resisting these Islamic courts," he added.

  When a 10-year-old Ethiopian Christian boy had a cross branded into his arm,
her group reported it to human rights organizations.

  In 1998, Mohamed organized a peace march, bringing together women to walk
over the so-called Green Line that divided Mogadishu, the Somali capital, into
two hostile camps. Theater productions and festivals were held to promote peace
and bring together young people from different clans. She got Somalis from all
walks of life -- faction leaders, elders and young men -- to sign the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights.

  Since then, her center has held conflict-resolution workshops for police
officers, members of the judiciary and even clan elders.

  The heart of Mogadishu is broken, crumbled from years of civil war, drought
and lack of resources. Mohamed's center, however, stands out as an island of
peace for thousands of women seeking respite and sympathy following campaigns
of rape and intimidation that continue daily.

  "They come to my center and I interview them," she said. "Some girls who are
raped are only 12 years old. They come with hatred and resentment toward all
men -- those who rape them and their children and those who stand idly by and
watch without even attempting to rescue them."

  When Somalia was ruled by dictator Mohamed Siad Barre, Mohamed recalled,
people did not dare complain or protest. "Now when something happens, I invite
the media to our center and I use a loudspeaker to inform them. They come and
write about it," she said. "Now we have the chance and opportunity to say what
we like, though the government is still weak in the countryside."

  Her most painful experience, she said, was the deaths of two pregnant women
and their unborn children as she tried to help them deliver without anesthesia
or medical supplies at her home in the middle of the war. "I can still see
them. That image is impossible to forget," she said.

  The impulse to begin an indigenous Somali human rights movement came after
Belgian soldiers serving with a U.N. intervention force tied up a young boy and
held him over a fire in 1993, and Italian soldiers inserted a flare inside a
woman's vagina.

  When Mohamed left Somalia for Djibouti in early July on her way to Washington
to collect an award from the National Endowment for Democracy,  a
fundamentalist judge appointed by Somalia's weak transitional government
summoned her to appear in court. "I knew that if I went back as instructed on
July 4, he would have arrested me and prevented me from traveling," she said in
an interview here last week. "I am not afraid. I am going back and I am still
going to talk openly about what he is doing.

  "I am not necessarily courageous, but I cannot remain silent if something is
terribly wrong. If they do things wrong, I will say so, and if they do
something good, I will also speak up. I have always been like that."

  Mohamed said Somalis who claimed to back Osama bin Laden were brainwashed in
some mosques and Islamic schools. "They don't know who bin Laden really is and
what he stands for," she said.

  One grocery store she often visited in Mogadishu, run by a woman, used to
have pictures of bin Laden on the walls. "I went there recently and the picture
was no longer there, so I asked the woman: What happened?" Mohamed said. The
woman told her never to mention bin Laden's name, because he was going to
"bring American planes to bomb us."

  "The Somali people are victims, especially the women and children. There is
no work for them, no food and no education," she said. "Shame on the world for
leaving Somalia to suffer."