My home is not the place you see on TV !!
by Saima Alvi
25 May 2002 22:14 UTC

Posted from THE GUARDIAN

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/Story/0,2763,584534,00.html

P.S. slightly dated, but equally relevant! saima

My home is not the place you see on TV!
=======================================
Kamila Shamsie

Last week, I returned to Pakistan for the first time since September 11. As
I walked through the doors of Jinnah Airport's international terminal in
Karachi, I was jolted by a shock of revulsion: a vast McDonald's had sprung
up right across from the terminal, ensuring that the golden arches would
henceforth dominate all visitors' first glimpse of the city. But all else
seemed much as ever: no added security, no riots on the periphery of my
vision, no stones being hurled my way because I was in trousers and a T-
shirt. In short, McDonald's aside, Karachi seemed exactly as I had expected
it to when I left London the day before. How nice, I thought, to finally be
home where I won't have to spend every day telling people not to believe
what they hear in the news about Pakistan being closer than ever to an
Islamic revolution. (Pakistan may be closer than ever to an Islamic
revolution; but since it's never been close to any such revolution, that
relative term "closer" carries little urgency.)

Here, there is much anger about what everyone else in the world hears in
the news about Pakistan. Almost everyone I have spoken to has mentioned the
slanted coverage of the BBC and CNN, which get beamed via satellite to a
great many households in Pakistan. It was partly to counter this partial
reporting that a rally under the banner "Voices of the silent majority" was
organised the day I returned. According to first-hand reports, about 200
people showed up, with placards saying "No to Extremism", "Pakistan
First", "Yes to Jihad against Illiteracy". Speeches were made, doves were
released (actually, they were pigeons, but let's not get bogged down by
details). The whole event had acquired a slightly farcical sheen before it
started, due to the fact that many of the people who were most fired up
about the rally are better known for their fashion sense than their
political sense. The march of the trendies, one of my friends dubbed it,
while another predicted the placards would read: "The well-dressed women of
Pakistan oppose terrorism". In the end, though, it was journalists and
educators rather than models and beauty consultants who spoke. Neither the
BBC nor CNN covered the event. And why should they? After all, it was just
200 people representing a tiny portion of society.

Well, when 200 protesters who represent a tiny portion of society start
throwing stones at policemen and burning effigies of George Bush, the
cameras can't stop rolling. Every day, the media teaches us lessons best
left unlearned about the power of violence to capture people's attention.

The truth of the matter is that, in this country which is often divided
along so many lines - sectarian, ethnic, economic, political - there does
seem to be something approaching a general consensus on two matters: the
destruction of the World Trade Centre was sickeningly awful; the bombing of
Afghanistan is sickeningly awful. Pakistanis were asked in a recent poll if
they support the US or the Taliban in the war. More than 80% answered in
favour of the Taliban. But - putting aside the question of how, exactly,
the data was compiled - the question itself reflects an absurd "you're
either with us or with them" reasoning which quite overlooks the complexity
of Pak-Afghan-US relations. The poll didn't bother to ask if Pakistanis
believe the Taliban are in any way responsible for what happened on
September 11. It seems a fair guess that more than 80% would answer "no".
Nor did it ask if the deaths of hundreds of Afghan civilians and the mass
influx of refugees into Pakistan, a country already straining to cope with
the million plus refugees that were here prior to September 11, was
acceptable "collateral damage". Again, the answer would be an
overwhelming "no". Looked at in this light, the opposition to US bombing in
no way translates to a support for the terrorist attacks in the US. From
here, this seems a self-evident truth.

There are frequent, non-violent rallies throughout Pakistan opposing the
bombing. Most of these are rallies for peace, not for holy war. This is not
to deny that the extremists who are calling for the overthrow of General
Musharraf's government are a well-armed and dangerous minority - but the
belief in most sections of Pakistan is still strong that the president has
much cause to be concerned about an assassin's bullet and little reason to
fear a popular revolution that will topple his government. This is not a
nation of extremists. But it is not an unconflicted nation either - it says
much for the difficult position Pakistan finds itself in that the people
who show up at rallies to declare solidarity with the government which
promised "unstinted support" to the US are often the same people at the
rallies demanding an end to the bombing.

It seems I have been repeating all of this endlessly to friends in the UK
and the US. All of them have listened with understanding, intelligence and
compassion. In Karachi, I encounter somewhat surprised reactions when I say
that of the many American friends I gathered in my years at university on
the east coast, none of those who have written to me in the last two months
hold views that are substantially different to mine when it comes to the
bombing of Afghanistan. Just as Pakistan looks like an extremist monolith
if you watch news reports in the US, so the US looks like an arrogant
nation baying for blood and willing to bypass due process if you watch news
reports here. The interesting point is this: the same news channels which
broadcast images of Pakistan to the US also broadcast images of the US to
Pakistan. That is, we watch CNN and we think it's showing us a complete
picture of America. But having lived in the US, having spoken to friends
who've written articles criticising US policy for the print media in the US
and found those pieces "edited" or not published, I know that there is a
voice of opposition within America which finds itself completely shut out
by the mainstream media. Paradoxically, if the US media allowed those
voices to come through to the rest of the world there might be less anger
towards the US in places such as Pakistan.

I'm told that any criticism of US policy these days is seen by some as a
justification for the terrorism of September 11. Let me make one thing
perfectly clear: September 11 has long been a national holiday in Pakistan.
It marks the death of Mohommed Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan, a man
who used his inaugural address to the nation to speak of the need for
tolerance and freedom. September 11 is a day of mourning in Pakistan. It
will continue to be a day of mourning in Pakistan.

· Kamila Shamsie is the author of Salt and Saffron (Bloomsbury, £6.99).