South Asia Under Clouds of Nuclear War.....
by Saima Alvi
15 May 2002 10:22 UTC

DAWN INTERNET EDITION (dawn.com)

15 May 2002  Wednesday

NEW YORK, May 14: India's defence minister, George Fernandes said in an
interview with the New York Times on Monday that India had no plans to
launch a military attack over the next few months even if severely
provoked.

He is so far the first and only senior Indian official to offer such
assurances, the Times said.

As the US assistant secretary of state, Christina Rocca, arrived in New
Delhi in an effort to defuse border tensions between the two countries the
Times said: "The Indian government now faces an excruciating choice. It
must decide whether to follow through on its threat to take military action
against Pakistan, or subject itself to the withering charge from its
political opposition, as well as from triumphant Pakistani generals, that
India was just bluffing."

The Times also said that Jaswant Singh, the minister of external affairs,
refused to say what India will do. "Don't ask me this question," he
said. "It's not fair. As a responsible member of this government, frankly I
cannot answer this question."

Singh, however, was unequivocal in stating that Gen Musharraf had gone back
on his promise of a crackdown on the groups India accused of attacking its
parliament. "Their leadership is now freed, it lives in houses and gets
paid an allowance by the government of Pakistan," he told the paper.

Fernandes said India would not take military action against Pakistan at
least until state elections were held in Kashmir, probably in
September. "We do not want the elections to be disrupted at any cost," he
said.

Historically, elections in Kashmir have been marred by vote rigging and
fraud and alienating Kashmiris.

Other Indian officials have privately told the United States that India is
fast approaching the time when it will have to decide if it wanted to take
military action, some American officials were quoted as saying.

Western diplomats and American officials say that it is a perilous moment
on the subcontinent. One senior western diplomat here put the odds of a
military conflict at even or better.

"We're approaching the crunch time in testing Pakistani intentions," he
said. "There is a risk of war," US undersecretary of defence Douglas Feith
said in a speech in Washington today. "You're talking about two countries
with nuclear weapons, so the risks are very large. We're focused on
defusing those tensions."

The Times said under American pressure President Gen Pervez Musharraf has
since pledged a bold crackdown on Islamic extremists in his country,
including the groups that India blamed in connection with the parliament
attack and groups that have sent fighters across the border into Kashmir.

Indian officials said they would wait until May, when the snows begins to
melt in the Himalayan region, to judge whether Gen Musharraf had made good
on his word. Indian intelligence officials now say the number of militants
sneaking across the border in March and April was about the same as in the
previous two years, the paper noted.

Officials from the home and defence ministries say 2,000 militants are
spread out along the Pakistani side of the so- called Line of Control that
divides Kashmir between Pakistan and India.

"We have no doubt whatsoever that they are massed there to cross into our
territory," Fernandes told the paper. "This can happen at any time - by the
end of this month or early next month."