Re: dialogue of civilizations?
by Seyed Javad
03 May 2002 01:50 UTC

Greetings,   Please do forgive me if I misunderstood your points regarding 'civilization' and 'civilizations'.  However it seems within human sciences and cultural theory there are diverse views on the problem of 'civilization' and its plurality.  For example  Professor Ahmad Sadri has a diffeent view about civilization and its plurality.  In July, there is a conference on 'Civilizational Problematiques' in St. Petersburg where his model of civilizational analysis are going to be tested in Russia.  It seems Russians and Muslims hold a different view about the singular or plural nature of civilizational dimension of humanity.  To me, it seems there are more complicated issues than Frank's views on civilization.  However I do not wish to confound the problem of 'singular humanity' with 'singular civilization'.  I think we all share the former but we ahve not yet come to the latter.  And I am not sure if that is desirable goal either.  But to be conscious about our 'singular humanity' is a desirable and noble goal and we could just pray for its prevalence.

Kind

seyed

University of Bristol