Third World radicalism: Bello - Castro comparison
by g kohler

to whom it may concern - a brief comparison of two positions of Third
World radicalism - Bello and Castro

Differences:
(1) a major difference exists regarding money:
Bello - “drawing most of our financial resources from within” –
Castro - demands that the world’s rich (or the world system) pay for
development

Similarities:
(2) similar rejection of existing international institutions, global
neoliberalism
(3) similar belief in the need for Third World countries to work
together

Further details from the two sources cited below:
(a) Global neoliberalism
Castro__________“Worldwide disaster”
Bello___________“arrogant globalist project”

(b) Preferred Modus operandi
Castro__________“Fighting spirit (not “begging”) + “close cooperation”
of Third World countries
Bello ___________“disable the main institutions of corporate-led
globalization”

(c) Global Elites
Castro__________“Another Nuremberg” for global elites

(d) Global governance
Bello___________“alternative system of global economic governance”
_______________“Deglobalization, or the re-empowerment of the local and
national”
_______________“de-concentration and de-centralization of institutional
power and
________________the creation of a pluralistic system of institutions”

(e) IMF
Castro__________Remove + replace (no veto power for USA or others)
Bello___________“abolish” or “disempower”

(f) World Bank, WTO
Bello__________“abolish” or “disempower”

(g) TNCs
Bello___________“dismantling the Transnational Corporation”

(h) Violence
Castro - not mentioned
Bello - not mentioned

(i) Money:
Third World debt
Castro - Cancel

Development finance
Castro_________Wants 1 trillion US dollars per year for developing
countries
Bello__________“drawing most of our financial resources for development
from within
______________ rather than becoming dependent on foreign investment and
foreign financial markets”

Evaluation:
Castro's demand for massive development finance appears more feasible
than Bello's demand for dismantling transnational corporations. Castro
has a capitalist ally - economist Stiglitz. Massive development finance
is also feasible according to my investigations concerning global
Keynesianism, unequal exchange and global exploitation, and according to
various post-Keynesians.

(Buy our book - Kohler-Tausch, Global Keynesianism: Unequal Exchange and
Global Exploitation, see:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590330021/qid=1018711597/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1_1/103-4985039-8124627

If that doesn't work, search amazon.com by either "global keynesianism"
or "arno tausch" or "gernot kohler")

References for above comparison:
Walden Bello –
article on dismantling corporations and their proxies (from: The CCPA
Monitor, February 2001, pp 14-16)     http://www.policyalternatives.ca/

Fidel Castro –
opening speech at the South Summit 2000 (from Znet)

Still paying $22.95 a month for unlimited dial-up? Get 3webXS, only $9.95 a
month!!!
Switch & Save at http://www.Get3web.com/?mkid=emt001