Re: Just have a close look at human rights (!) application from Middle East
by Carl Nordlund

Title:

What this document shows is horrible and is totally beyond all reasonable behaviour. If the pictures doesn't lie, we must indeed spread these images to all we know, especially media.

However, after doing a simple photographic analysis of the pictures, I do believe that these pictures are fake, as the first 3 pictures differs quite a bit from the last 2 pictures. I have made two enlargements of these pictures in this email - I have enclosed the pictures as 2 jpg-files in this email - and my comments are as follows:

* The pictures have different colouring shadings; when looking at the colour of the street on the two sets of pictures, the first 3 are slightly more greenish.

* The last 2 pictures are taken from a somewhat different angle than the 3 first ones (look at the angle of the side of the left car).

* The wheel of the military jeep/vehicle is probably not the same in the first 3 and the last 2 pictures. First, the back wheel differs a lot in looks (this can however be an effect of different photo angles but the effect wouldn't affect the light reflection of the metal that much). Secondly, the proportional distance between the left car and the back wheel (the latter which is only slightly visible in picture 4) is incorrect; either it's a different car altogether, standing where the military jeep stood, or the vehicle has moved a bit. I have drawn a yellow line to mark the distance between the back wheel of the jeep and the front of the left car. Picture 1-3 and 4-5 seems to be taken from approximately the same distance from the scene so the yellow line shouldn't differ that much as it does.

* The people pointing the gun at the stripped man in picture 4 has different clothings than the people in picture 1-3.

* When looking at the properties of the document (In Word, use menu File, select Properties), the author is apparently located in Denmark (or the Word program is registered to this person). I have emailed this person asking about the document but I haven't got a reply yet.

If my hypothesis is correct, i.e. that the latter 2 pictures were reconstructed after the israeli military had left, I wouldn't be surprised. Words and pictures are, as we all know, more powerful than the sword and it is quite natural that documents such as these appear in situations of war and occupation where one side is totally superior to the other when it comes to weaponry and military might.

My analysis is purely technical and my conclusions are only based on my very little knowledge in imagery and information warfare. I have no opinion of the current situation except that I hope that Israeli occupation will end, that Palestine will be declared as a sovereign state and that organisational and non-organisational suicide bombings aimed toward Israel will cease as soon as possible, with peace and security being the result for both parties.

Yours,
- - -

Carl nordlund, PhD student
carl.nordlund@humecol.lu.se
Human Ecology Division, Lund University, Sweden
www.humecol.lu.se

palestine2.jpg

palestine1.jpg