Re: The persistence of slavery
by Adam Starr

Hello WSN World and Louis,

When I lived in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, one of my
neighbours had a restaurant that several of us young
teachers (quasi-expats) would frequent because of the
great Vietnamese food.

One day, a group of young men (perhaps a triad gang)
that she had borrowed money from to start her
restaurant came to collect. She didn't have the
$300.00 or what ever amount it was (I can't exactly
remember). They attempted to take her ten year old
daughter as payment. I still remember the screaming
little girl. They probably would have sold her to a
brothel.

Needless to say, we immediately pooled our money
together to pay the debt and get these men off her
back and they left without incident. This is just one
of thousands of stories that happen every day....

You have no idea how sheltered we are in the west to
the shear brutality of absolute poverty existance
within the Underdeveloped world.

Adam

=====
Adam T. Starr
Undergraduate of Political Science, UVic
3009 Quadra Street, Victoria, British Columbia
V8T 4G2 Canada
(011) (250) 472-1223
adam@hornbyisland.com or reunitedhornby@yahoo.com