Re: Visualizations of trade structures
by g kohler

Hi Carl - that is quite a cyber-age visualisation that you've got there. Nifty!
I am wondering whether one could plug unequal exchange data into that and
visualize global unequal exchange / global exploitation. Looking at your graph,
Canada and Japan are depicted as being close to USA - indicating an intensive
trading relationship. However, Mexico and USA are depicted as "distant".  I
don't quite believe that. One reason for that could be that unequal exchange is
not taken into account.
      When visualizing unequal exchange, one could try two different methods -
(a) by volume (who loses the most transfer value? and who sucks in the most
transfer value?) or (b) by rates of unequal exchange. Tausch found that the two
aspects behave differently in empirical macro-sociological research.
    What is your PhD thesis about?
Yours\ Gernot Kohler