From: Threehegemons@aol.com <Threehegemons@aol.com>
To: wsn@csf.colorado.edu <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Date: &Sgr;&aacgr;&bgr;&bgr;&agr;&tgr;&ogr;, 16 &Mgr;&agr;&rgr;&tgr;&iacgr;&ogr;&ugr; 2002 3:28 &pgr;&mgr;
Subject: Re: the Communist Manifesto: critique

>I remain agnostic about the existence of capitalism, and the psychology of
those who use the term, until people clearly define what they mean by
'capitalism'.  In general, debates about 'capitalism' are textbook examples
of reification--the pretense is that there is some answer to the question of
whether 14 century England, the nineteenth century world economy, twentieth
century Soviet Union, contemporary China are or are not capitalist, when in
fact the answer hinges on the meaning of the concept being employed.

>Although capitalism as wage labor ultimately involves drawing too many
weird boundaries, describing those with means and interest in accumulating
as much capital as possible as 'capitalists', and tracing their ascending
relationship to other centers of power (territorial rulers, ideological
structures, etc) strikes me as a valuable project, regardless of what one is
going to call it.  I also don't believe it's a particularly good idea to let
capitalists organize the world for their own benefit, so I'm not sure its a
bad thing to 'fight capitalism'.