Re: armchair experts
by Carl Nordlund

Title:

Yes, these issues, as Paul Riesz refines out of Adam Starrs posting, are indeed very important and they both deserve attention.

Nevertheless, I fail to see a specific connection between these two issues and world system (or hyphenated world-systems) analysis. As a 100 percent pure armchair-theorist, I am well aware of the huge gap which usually exists between theory and practice (quite often experienced due to competing and conflicting theories, I guess). But this isn't a world system-related issue only - it applies to nearly all areas of scientific study. Just because this gap exists, it shouldn't refrain us from expanding theory in favour of practical work; on the contrary!

"Academics have decided the [sic] to neglect the realities of situtations" writes Adam Starr - what is the 'situation' then? The situation now in Cambodia? The Landrovers driven by developmentalists in Africa? The failure of modernization programmes in general in developing regions? Or is 'the situation' a system which has evolved over several centuries, even millenias according to some, which must be understood through a historical lens? World system analysis is explicitly proposing that 'the realities of situations' of today goes further back than the failed post-50-modernization programmes and the Land Rover purchases based on personal greed. Why should the alternative - world system analysis - refrain from building system theory just because its theoretical counterpart has created a reality which is highly scewed what regards income, access to resources and other various definitions of 'development'? It isn't exactly practices based on world system theory which runs developmentalism at the moment!

Theory and empirical studies, such as observations, must go hand in hand for theory to evolve in a sound manner. In 1995 I made a undergrad research journey to Malaysia to study indigenous industrial development within the electronics sector and I found several proofs of 'global trickle-down' and self-generating economic and social growth. Does this observation make this whole WSN-discussion group obsolete - "hey you guys and gals, neo-liberalism and FDI:s really work!"? No, because this single observation must of course be put in a grander context, ESPECIALLY in world system theory as it stretches so far back in time with its 'Braudelianism' (a nice read: Wallerstein 1998, "The time of space and the space of time", Pergamon).

Which makes cotton highly relevant, among many other things not found in Cambodia or Malaysia today.

- - -
Carl nordlund, PhD student
carl.nordlund@humecol.lu.se
Human Ecology Division, Lund University, Sweden
www.humecol.lu.se