Re: Defining the Islamic State
by Shahijm2

I never meant to accuse you or anybody in particular of any crime.  Sorry if it sounded that way.

I only meant that our fantasized projections about other cultures, past or present, have more to do with us than them.  Especially if they're never tested against reality.  Classrooms, lectures, well-heeled cocktail parties, libraries and forums like this are great places to learn about other cultures.  They are also predictable, risk-free, require relatively little effort and are therefore fairly one-dimensional, which is probably why they're so popular.

While those of us who contribute to this list are busy decrying the evils of capitalism and the decadence of Western culture, the number 1 most popular TV show in India right now is the Hindi version of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," hosted by Amitabh Bachchan, who is already the wealthiest actor in India.  So we shouldn't be too surprised or disappointed if they don't show up for the revolution.

More and more these days, what I find most interesting about this list are the things that don't get said.

Jane Shahi

P.S.  Please don't anyone think I'm criticizing Amitabh Bachchan.  I'm a big fan of his, even if he's like the uber capitalist, and I read T.S. Eliot's poetry, too.  Don't really care whether or not he was a great humanitarian.