Adam Smith vs. George W. Bush Jr
by Threehegemons
19 February 2002 20:45 UTC

Rereading The Long Twentieth Century, I was struck by a quotation from Adam
Smith.  Smith notes the deleterious effects of European Imperialism on
non-Western parts of the world:  "To the natives..  all the commercial benefits
which can have resulted from these events (the creation of a world market) have
been sunk and lost in the dreadful misfortunes which they have occasioned."
Arrighi emphasizes that Smith was aware that the key element in this process
was the 'superiority of force' possessed by the Europeans at the time of
expansion.  However, I was more struck by the next sentence: "hereafter,
perhaps, the natives of those countries may grow stronger, or those of Europe
may grow weaker, and the inhabitants of all the different quarters of the world
may arrive at that equality of courage and force which, by inspiring mutual
fear, can alone overawe the injustice of independent nations into some sort of
respect for the rights of one another."  In other words, in contrast to both
Bush and liberal Western peace and human rights advocates, Smith argues that it
is necessary for non-Western nations to possess the means to 'inspire mutual
fear' in order to lay the foundations for an equal and just world order.  I
wonder what he would say about the efforts to eliminate the 'axis of evil's'
capacity to produce weapons of mass destruction?

Steven Sherman