Re: u.s. unilateralism
by kjkhoo
19 February 2002 06:27 UTC

At 9:33 AM +0000 18/2/02, n0705590 wrote:
>A Gramscian perspective of hegemony would suggest that american hegemony is
>declining precisely because the US are increasingly dependant on coercion
>rather than on consent.

Don't count on it, not in the near and, I fear, medium term at least.
And if that is indeed a Gramscian perspective -- which I doubt --
then it is just plain wrong.

Coercion and consent are not necessarily in a zero sum relationship.
Depends upon whether the coercion is seen as legitimate. Or, to put
it differently, whether the coercion is being exercised against some
with the consent and approval of a majority, or at least of a
significant minority with the tacit and passive consent or
indifference of a majority, or of a significant group against a
non-significant other (as in Europeans and native Americans). That
consent can be manufactured or otherwise, or more likely, a
combination of manufactured and in some sense in accord with
experience. Or, if you wish, experience as understood and felt
through the hegemonic categories of commonsense. And the hegemony
that is exercised over commonsense, and hedged about with
non-reporting, mis-reporting, and so on, is available to Washington
in spades.

All one has to do is scan the US media, including the talk shows. And
that's only the US. In Britain, aside from the usual few columnists,
it's pretty much the same story, and Britain's projection to the
world through BBC TV is a poor echo of CNN and CNBC (the World
Service remains distinctive, but even there...). In Germany, the
coming elections look like producing a swing to the right, perhaps
marking the end of the brief phase of a neo-liberal social democracy
(yes, that's a contradiction in terms, but there it is). Even in the
Muslim world, aside from Palestine, the hegemony of the US (and yes,
it can take the form of coerced consent, but not necessarily the
coercion of bombs and the big stick) is evident. Meanwhile, even if
for reasons of their own, China, India, Russia fall in line.

 From a country that's recently made the cover of Time and Newsweek as
a launching pad for the Sep 11 attacks, it looks pretty hegemonic.
Add to that citizens who have their own axe to grind with the
governments they have, largely believing that they are bereft of any
real alternatives, or of alternatives they feel comfortable with (and
that's another side of hegemony) other than the global order coming
into place, and it begins to seem pretty total and totalitarian.

That said, and perhaps for the reasons above, I do think that
Wallerstein's recent commentary on Porto Alegre does merit more
serious consideration than it appears to have received here. It, and
the outcome of Porto Alegre, deserves wider dissemination. This
year's Porto Alegre has the makings of an agenda that is not only a
response to the hegemonic, the beginnings of an alternative or
alternatives that can begin to talk to people's experience; hence the
stirrings of a counter-hegemony. Add to that the recent demonstration
in Israel, coming in the midst of the 'war on terror' and in the
aftermath of a number of suicide bombings -- and a little cheer is
perhaps in order.