Re: NYTimes.com Article: Administration Shifts Focus on Colombia Aid
by Elson Boles
07 February 2002 18:53 UTC

Well congratulations Steve, for it could hardly be more obvious! ^_^

What I thought was interesting in connection to this article was the one on
Venezuela published the same day (below).  It seems to me that the Bush
Administration is opposed to Venezuela's "leftist" government also because
US corporate politicians are concerned about the threat that Colombia's
rebels pose to the LA firm's pipeline.  Contrary to the main thrust of
Powell's propagandistic answer, US opposition isn't due to the Venezuelan
gov. allegedly being undemocratic.  That's a sham as usual.  In fact, note
that the question to which Powell responded concerns "allegations that
Venezuela is supporting leftist guerrillas in neighboring Colombia."

Never mind the hypocrisy of calls for democracy  -- Pakistan, Saudi Arabia,
Egypt, Kuwait, etc.  As usual, governments which help the poor are
"undemocratic" if they pose a threat to US geo-strategic corporate
interests.  In this case, the policies of Venezuela are said to be
"revolutionary policies to help the poor, including redistribution of land"
which in fact is hardly revolutionary at all, being policies that the US
pressured other states, including Taiwan and Japan, to take during the Cold
War.  Those were the good old days prior to unimpeded globalization, when
hypocrisy in each camp was the norm.  The subsidiary concern here might be
the threat that land distribution poses to Chiquita, Dole, DelMonte,
Monsanto, Cargill, etc.  But the reporter had it right: the immediate
concern is that Venezuela's current government doesn't support a US
terrorist war against the Columbian rebels who are (allegedly) fighting on
behalf of peasants and pose a threat to US oil interests.  Can't have that!

February 6, 2002
Powell Faults Venezuela's Leftist Leader
By REUTERS
WASHINGTON, Feb. 5 (Reuters)  Secretary of State Colin L. Powell,
testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, today criticized
the leftist president of Venezuela, Hugo Chavez, expressing concern about
his views on democracy and the war on terrorism.

Secretary Powell made the remarks in response to a question about
allegations that Venezuela is supporting leftist guerrillas in neighboring
Colombia.

"We have been concerned with some of the actions of Venezuelan President
Chavez and his understanding of what a democratic system is all about,"
Secretary Powell said.

He added that the United States had asked regional allies to suggest to Mr.
Chavez that there are perhaps better ways to "deal with the challenges his
country is facing."

Since winning election in 1998, Mr. Chavez has introduced what he calls
revolutionary policies to help the poor, including redistribution of land.

Opponents accuse him of trying to impose a Cuban-style leftist government on
Venezuela, whose main oil market is the United States.

In Caracas, Foreign Minister Luis Alfonso Davila defended Mr. Chavez's
foreign policy, saying it was "sovereign, independent and autonomous" and
did not require the approval of other governments.