Fw: URGENT 911 Anthology
by George Snedeker

----- Original Message -----
To: psn
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 7:02 PM
Subject: Fw: URGENT 911 Anthology

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 6:47 PM
Subject: URGENT 911 Anthology

I am writing to offer you a chance to publish in our interdisciplinary anthology in response to 9/11.  Into the Real Terrorist Mind is an attempt to grapple with some of the difficult issues that face us.  I would love to see you submit an article to us.  Present contributers include Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, Molefi Kete Asante, Ishmael Reed, Hatem Bazian, Michael Parenti, Marjorie Cohn, John Esposito, Phil Gasper, Charley Reese, John Catalinotto, and more.

It can be anything from 300 to 5100 words in the form of an scholarly article, text of a
delivered speech, and even something already published because our is
an edited anthology.  Deadline for submission is February 5, 2002.  Please also encourage students and faculty to submit as well.  We would also appreciate it if you could forward us the names and emails of others to submit.

So far, we have received over 120 submissions from professors and
students from six continents.  The effort is a part of a global
education campaign sponsored by Students for International Peace and
Justice, Inc., which is a youth movement formed in response to 9/11.

The work looks quite promising already.  I have received submissions
from literally all over the world: China, Australia, Palestine, Jordan,
India, Argentina, Brazil, Egypt, Kosovo, Pakistan, Russia, and
elsewhere.   A similar anthology, edited by two Berkeley grad students, received international interest as well.  I feel this work also has such potential if done properly.

At this point, I would like to bring you up to speed with the efforts
of Students for International Peace and Justice. The aim of the student
coalition is to educate ourselves and our communities that we can,
indeed, have peace on Earth.  As all youth-driven movements, this
initiative is fueled by ground work on campuses in the form of teach-
ins and rallies.  By shaking the intellectual currents of ivory towers
is where any lasting and credible impact is possible and happened in
the past, like the Vietnam War era.  Our representatives have made
speeches in colleges, schools, churches, mosques, synagogues, temples,
libraries, and other places.

Moreover, we have organized two large peace symposiums with limited
time, funds, and means.  The first conference was a statewide meeting
for youth leaders and community activists on September 22, 2001, at the
Holiday Inn in Altamonte Springs, Florida.  Nationally syndicated
columnist, Charley Reese; trial lawyer and professor, Daniel Vaughen;
FBI agent, Ron Rothwell; US Justice Department spokesman, Tom Battles;
local law enforcement, and other distinguished speakers addressed
topics like hate crimes, foreign policy, and civil rights.  Almost 200
people attended that event, which set the stage for our next program,
Operation Education: Security through Peace, on October 27th in the TD
Waterhouse Centre, arena for NBA's Orlando Magic.  Bob Bowman, 2000
American Presidential candidate; Reverend Markel Hutchins of the
National Youth Connection; Sara Flounders, co-director of the
International Action Center, which was founded by former US Attorney
General Ramsey Clark; Mark NeJame, a prominent criminal defense
attorney; Imam Tariq Rasheed of the Islamic Center of Orlando; UC
Berkeley's Hatem Bazian; Harvard University's Faiz Shakir; Altaf
Hussain, National President of Muslim Students' Association, and other
notables spoke.  The second event coincided with the International Day
of Action: 75 US cities and over 20 foreign countries participated.
Sara Flounders said of our efforts, "What you were able to accomplish
on October 27 in Orlando still stands out as one of the most important
actions nationally.  As the war and the bombing continues, we continue
to plan protests and rallies.  The movement for peace is growing."

Our volunteers are also busy making presentations about our civil
rights and peaceful alternatives to war.  Future lectures include
Georgia Southern University, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz, Santa
Clara University, Stanford University, Rutgers University, Harvard
University, University of Florida, University of Miami, University of
Michigan, University of Chicago, Cambridge University, Oxford
University, and more.

May all of us become vehicles to establish an enduring peace on Earth.
We appreciate your consideration in the matter.

Truly yours,

Nadia Batool Ahmad, President and Founder
Students for International Peace and Justice, Inc.
Website www.sipj911.com
Email nadia@sipj911.com

Peace is not just the season, but a state of mind...