Re: FACTS?
by GRHaleJr

In a message dated 01/07/2002 1:19:01 AM Central Standard Time, kjkhoo@pop.jaring.my writes:

Mr Hale can have his pick of the 'Scots' or 'Saxons', or the 'Irish'
or 'Celts', although since it would appear that he much enjoys having
the five-sixths of the property, etc., he would likely pick the
'Scots'/'Saxons', and I sincerely hope he's not Irish or Celt (minus
quotation marks)!

      Sorry, your hope is not fulfilled.  I am Saxon, Angle, Jute, Scots, Irish, Scotch/Irish, French, German, Ukrainian, Polish, Norse, Danish, Spanish, Italian, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Like most people in the United States I am a mixture of many cultures and societies.

      If I misnamed Sir Samuel W. Baker I am sorry.  I am reading all of his books.  He wasn't JUST the appointed potentate of Equatoria.  He made numerous trips to the Sudan, Ethiopia, and other Central African sites.  He traveled in Ceylon and many other places in the "primitive" world.

      Although he was judging the indigent peoples of the countries he visited he was basically correct in the way he judged them based upon the civilization upon which he set his standards.  He was an 19th Century European and like many people, even today, he judged everyone on what he was accustomed to.

      It seems that everyone has missed the point I was attempting to make in their urge to make me out as a racist.  My point was that this Comoro, who had no formal education of any sort, had hit upon EXACTLY the world operated at that time and still does.  His world was Central African of the 19th century and it was a brutally frank world.  The European world of the same time was less frank but just as brutal, with a sugar icing.

      The world is STILL a dog eat dog place, and I suspect it will remain so at least through several more hundred years.  Regrettably, but true; and you must live in the world as it is, not as you wish it to be.

Gordon Hale