Re: assumptions ?
by kjkhoo
31 December 2001 18:57 UTC

The author is English explorer Sir Samuel White Baker, not Sir Samuel
W White who, historically speaking, never existed. Baker was
appointed Governor of Equatoria in 1869 with a commission to annex
the territory in the White Nile basin and to suppress slave trading.
He was succeeded in 1874 by Charles Gordon, he of the Mahdi uprising
fame or notoriety.

Perhaps someone on the list with knowledge of the Sudan can provide
more information as to which of the many ethnicities did Commorro
come from. Anyway, it would seem that the period covered by Baker's
account was one of tremendous upheavals in the Sudan, still
unravelling to the present day.

It appears that Baker learnt little or nothing about the religion of
Commorro, which is what he apparently was attempting to get at.

Whatever, it seems to me that Mr Hale's point, from the several posts
he's made, might be better made by reference to Darwin's Descent of
Man in which Darwin, incidentally, quoted Baker. The passage I'm
thinking of is the ff., with apologies to actual Irish and Scots,
Celts and Saxons:

'The careless, squalid, unaspiring Irishman multiplies like
rabbits: the frugal, foreseeing, self-respecting, ambitious
Scot, stern in his morality, spiritual in his faith, sagacious
and disciplined in his intelligence, passes his best years in
struggle and in celibacy, marries late, and leaves few behind
him. Given a land originally peopled by a thousand Saxons and a
thousand Celts - and in a dozen generations five-sixths of the
population would be Celts, but five-sixths of the property, of
the power, of the intellect, would belong to the one-sixth of
Saxons that remained. In the eternal "struggle for existence,"
it would be the inferior and less favoured race that had
prevailed - and prevailed by virtue not of its good qualities
but of its faults' (1901 ed., p. 213).

Mr Hale can have his pick of the 'Scots' or 'Saxons', or the 'Irish'
or 'Celts', although since it would appear that he much enjoys having
the five-sixths of the property, etc., he would likely pick the
'Scots'/'Saxons', and I sincerely hope he's not Irish or Celt (minus
quotation marks)!

Still, there is that last sentence from which I take heart -- with
hopes of prevailing not by virtue of any good qualities but by virtue
of faults, by virtue of that "less-ness" that Wallerstein says
characterises the American view of the Rest :)

Anyway, I do hope that Mr Hale and friends are appreciating getting
some of this "less-ness", less civil liberties, less freedom of
speech, etc. -- can't wait for the day of X-Files becoming reality,
with trackable ID implants among American citizens. Can't say there
isn't a technological edge there -- over here we just make do with an
ID card, which can even be faked!

kj khoo