ARGENTINA'S ECONOMIC COLLAPSE
by Michael Pugliese
21 December 2001 01:57 UTC

 http://www.edu-irep.org/actu.htm
Romain Kroës

   Looks kooky. But, then some say I'm a kook!
(First few paragraphs...While euro coins were arriving in European banks,
European central bank was contributing to the promotion of that new
currency, by raising it to the level of 0$90 that seems to have become ECB's
parity reference (in the hope to reach one day 1 to 1). Though, Argentina's
example shows what is to be paid for seeking to maintain a stable parity
with the dollar. Even Japan does not manage to do it any more.

ECB's experts believe that European monetary history begins with the euro
currency. But euro is the merger between eleven currencies the history of
which, with respect to dollar, goes back to 1971. The graphic above shows
that euro sliding, since its creation, is nothing but the continuation of a
thirty-years mean trend (average weighted by GDP). It is not a matter of the
parity level, but of a trend resulting from the systematically negative sign
of US's balance of trade, while planetary debit is a dollar one. Stable
parities between currencies would be only possible if the USA took their
part of the stabilization of changes. But that woulf mean, then, that they
would pay their debt, what would considerably reduce their consumption and
their power.

Every time European central bank buys euro back, in order to try "defending"
it, ECB throws away a part of its dollar reserves and this way cancels a
quantum of American debt. The final result of such a process is
impoverishment of Europe. Argentina's example demonstrates it.)

M.Pugliese

12/20/01 12:13:25 PM
From:  MindAphid@aol.com
Add to People Section
To:  marxist@yahoogroups.com

>...here are a

couple other analyses of the recent argentinian crisis however.

keith

from world-systems theorist Romain Kroës
NAUFRAGE DE L'ARGENTINE (ARGENTINA'S ECONOMIC COLLAPSE)
03-11-2001
http://www.edu-irep.org/actu.htm#arg