Memes, Communications, World-Systems, & History
by Luke Rondinaro
20 December 2001 15:57 UTC

Dear WSN,

Take a look at the content of the following websites if you will.  (f/ more info. on memes than what I've linked to here, please check out many of the other good pieces - web based or paper based - these sites make reference to)

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/11243/75463
http://www.memecentral.com/
http://maxwell.lucifer.com/virus/alt.memetics/what.is.html
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/SOCEVOL.html
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/MST.html
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/SOCIETY.html
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/COGNEVOL.html
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Annotations/SOCIETY.0.html
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Annotations/SOCIETY.1.html

My question is:  how in a World Systems Framework might we apply the concepts and content of memetic research to an understanding of (world-systems/The World System) in the long view of history?  In other words, what I'm asking is: how might we relate the notion of memes to communications exchanges in world history?  What role might memes play in the communications networks of world-systems?

Thanks, in advance, to all for your comments and wishing you "Happy Holidays!"

Luke R.

Do You Yahoo!?
Check out Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions for all of your holiday gifts!