Re: IMPORTANT-VIRUS ON THIS LIST??
by Sabri Oncu
16 December 2001 19:20 UTC

I also got a message from the same address but with a different subject title. One distinguishing feature of this virus is that it adds an underscore before the address of the sender. The sender address of the mail I got was:

_br00361@binghampton.edu

Best,

Sabri Oncu

-----Original Message-----
From: wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu [mailto:wsn-owner@csf.colorado.edu]On Behalf Of Alan Spector
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 10:48 AM
To: br00361@binghamton.edu
Cc: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK; PROGRESSIVE SOCIOLOGISTS NETWORK; ahs-talk@ncsu.edu
Subject: IMPORTANT-VIRUS ON THIS LIST??

I just (three minutes ago) received another suspicious e-mail, with no content in the e-mail, and a vague title  "Re:Egyptian Journalist opinion".  The attachment ended in .scr or something like that, which means that it was not a text file, but rather some kind of program.   All these characteristics fit the pattern of one of those viruses which get into someone's computer without their knowing and then immediately sending it out to everyone in that person's address book.  I suspect that it is probably circulating through either wsn, or psn, or possibly, but not likely ahs (although if I had opened it, it probably would be circulating through all three.)

I'm almost positive that I deleted it without it going anywhere else, but if any of you get an e-mail like that, DON'T OPEN IT.  It might be tempting, like touching wet paint, but don't do it. Delete it immediately, and then delete it again from your "discard" or "trash" folder.

Good Luck,

Alan Spector

PS--you need not flood these lists with comments about this unless your experience backs up this warning. Otherwise, no need to flood these lists with lots of comments about viruses, etc.