Re: [osint] Hamill: Heroin's Ugly Role In Afghanistan
by Ken Meyercord
11 December 2001 16:17 UTC

You'd never guess from this piece the success the Taliban enjoyed in
wiping out poppy production in their part of Afghanistan, a success we
can only envy (It is illegal to grow marijuana here, is it not; and yet
we remain one of the premiere producers). While it's true they retained
some already processed opium, the UN estimates that three-quarters of
the opium exports from Afghanistan last year came from the small part of
the country then controlled by the Northern Alliance. As the article
suggests, with the Northern Alliance now in control of the whole
country, it's a good time to invest in certain "pharmaceutical" stocks.
Forget the war on terrorism or central Asian oil;  maybe it's the
international drug cartels behind all the commotion.