Re: terrorist chief received Nobel Peace Prize
by wwagar
16 November 2001 02:36 UTC

        Let me be (uncharacteristically?) blunt.  The Nobel Peace Prize is
and always has been, to a considerable extent, garbage.  Most of the
prizes have gone to Europeans and North Americans, sometimes because they
did not kill as many people as they might have.  Rarely have prizes been
awarded to those who struggled against capitalism and the oppression of
workers.  Should we include in the latter category that doughty Communist
Mikhail Gorbachev, the 1990 winner?  Or was he chosen because his policies
pulled the rug out from under the Evil Empire?

        But my favorite laureates, of course, are people like Kissinger
(not Le Duc Tho, who had the common decency to decline), Sadat, Begin,
Arafat, Rabin, de Klerk, and Andrei ("H-Bomb") Sakharov, not to mention
the Hero of San Juan Hill (Teddy Roosevelt) or the He Who Didn't Keep Us
out of War (Woodrow Wilson).  Not to mention General of the Army George C.
Marshall, who made Western Europe safe for capitalism again.  In such
exalted company, Osama bin Laden might fit right in.  As our very own
President has intoned, "Islam is a religion of peace."

        My only regret, in this bloody charade, is that two obvious
candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize, both of whom led long lives, never
received the ultimate accolade.  One, of course, was Stellvertreter Rudolf
Hess, who risked his life and ended his distinguished career in a heroic
effort to bring peace between the United Kingdom and the Third Reich.
What more could he have done?  How many lives might have been spared had
only the British authorities taken his sage advice?  The mind boggles.
But there was also el Caudillo, Francisco Franco, who brought the Spanish
Civil War to a close and then gave the war-torn Spanish people more than a
third of a century of peace.  What a great man!  He presided over the
killing of a million fellow Spaniards, but how many more millions would
have died had he not prevailed, with the comradely assistance of his
German and Italian brothers?

        Osama, step right up.  It may not be too late for you, too, to
join this pantheon.  Perhaps you can share the next prize with the Mullah
Muhammad Omar and our very own George W. (peace be upon him!) Bush.

        Warren