how to help Afghanistan
by Richard N Hutchinson
13 November 2001 22:49 UTC

I just looked at a few web sites and I have not found an organization I
would feel confident donating to in order to get aid to starving Afghans.

Yes, yes, I know, "the poor shall always be with us" in the capitalist
world-system, but I feel compelled to join whatever humanitarian effort
there is, to counter what my Evil Empire of a government is doing.

The American Red Cross is sponsoring Bush's "American Fund for Afghan
Children," which is a disgusting propaganda exercise as far as I'm
concerned.  I looked at the Oxfam and AFSC (American Friends Service
Committee) sites too, and while I respect both organizations, it's not
clear what sort of relief efforts they're involved in.

Does anyone have any information or suggestions?

RH