Re: Roots of contemporary sexism
by wwagar
13 November 2001 00:26 UTC

        A civilization is a division of labor, made possible by a level of
agriculture that creates a surplus capable of supporting urban life.  The
earliest civilizations were, in world-systems terms, world-economies that
soon became world-empires.  If you accept the argument advanced by Frank
and Gills, the first such world-system arose from the confluence of Indus,
Tigris-Euphrates, and Nile societies about 5,000 years ago.  If you don't,
still these ancient societies constituted world-systems in their own
right.

        I will leave it to the anthropologists to thrash out whether most
pre-"civilized" communities ("minisystems") operated on a patriarchal
basis or not.  (I have a sinking feeling that most did.)

        Warren