Conference Announcement
by Craig Lair
08 November 2001 15:14 UTC

Hello!,

This is an electronic invitation to the Globalizations:  Cultural, Economic,
Democratic conference to be held April 11 * 18th at the University of Maryland
in College Park. The conference, like it's theme, will be interdisciplinary and
international in character and we hope to have as many different perspectives
presented as possible.  This includes persons both on the academic and
activists fronts.

Our emphasis will be on the interactions between various kinds of
globalizations: cultural, economic and democratic. There has been much academic
research and public discussion on the global economy, but we know much less
about the emerging culture that accompanies it. The goal of this conference is
to bring clarity to this and other issues.  Some of the questions to be
addressed are, but not limited to:

-What are the implications of postmodern culture and global capitalism for each
other and for a democratic life?

-What are relations between emerging cultural hybrids and postindustrial
economies, between post-Fordism and post-Freudianism, between flexible
accumulation and flexible identities?

-What is the global and social distribution of such different cultural,
economic, and political forms?

-How do various social and cultural theories alternately address the complex
transformations, questions and problems of the present?

Again, please note that this is not an exhaustive list of questions/topics to
be addressed.  For a more complete list, or for information on the location of
the conference, registration material, on organizing a session, "things to do"
while in the DC metropolitan area, how to submit papers for presentation, or
more general information on the conference itself, please visit Globalizations'
webpage at www.bsos.umd.edu/socy/conference.   If further information
orclarification is needed, please feel free to contact the conference
organizer, Dr. Richard Brown at rbrown@socy.umd.edu.

Thank You and we look forward to seeing you,

The Conference Staff
Richard Brown
Anthony Alvarez
Craig Lair