Complexity Theory
by Damian Popolo
08 November 2001 16:40 UTC

Dear all,
I'm currently trying to write a PhD thesis on the possible impact of Complexity Theory on IR and World Systems analysis.  Now, because of the 'Complexity' of the task, I decided to focus on what I call 'paradigmatic' reactions.  That is, I would like to examine how a number of approaches are attempting to claim their respective 'compatibility' with Complixity Theory.  Indeed, I was most surprised when I found vague references to Complexity in R. Cox's work, as well as in Abu-Lughod's (Before European Hegemony).  Abu Lughod in particular encourages world system analysts to embrace the Complexity approach, as opposed to the linear 'positivist' angle, in the study of systemic change.  I dislake the use of categories, but it is not only Critical Theorists and World System analysts that are looking at the Complexity thing.  More 'traditional' scholars such as Saperstein, Rosenau and Jervis have already written on the subject.  Moreover, 'poststructuralists' such as Paul Cilliers, have argued about the similarities between Complexity and their own thought.  Lee has exposed the idea of Complexity as 'Non-Modern' science, while Hayles has written about Complexity as a 'Post-Modern' Science.  I would be extremely grateful if any of you could share bibliographical data concernong these issues.  I'm particularly interested in 'Postmodern' readings of Complexity theoryl
Thank you in advance/
Damian Popolo