Re: Capitalism and gender inequality
by Shahijm2
29 October 2001 01:59 UTC

thank you Mr. Samman for a very interesting commentary.  It touches on a subject I am very interested in researching further, because I suspect that capitalism has played a far greater role than religion in the declining status of women in many cultures.  On the surface of it, it would appear that women in the West have better status.  All lot of this is an illusion, however.  Just watch MTV and decide if there's more respect for women in America.

I read an interesting book several years ago called "Witchcraze" in which the author argues very convincingly that the persecution of witches in early Renaissance Europe was in fact a pogrom against women that paralleled the rise of capitalism and colonialism.

Jane Shahi