Re: Arundhoti Roy also -- Dollars for Terror by Richard Labeviere
by Martin DeMers
25 October 2001 17:17 UTC

A highly insightful book on the untold story of Bin Laden, and the oil,
financial, and CIA connections behind Islamism is available from the
French/Swiss journalist Richard Labeviere. His book: Dollars for Terror, The
US and Islam, translated from French by Algora Publishing, received a
Starred review in Publishers Weekly last June and it is a MUST read for all
News organizations and well informed people these days. For more info you
can go to
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1892941066/algorapublishingA/102-36
51625-5494500
or to
http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?sourceid=000189026
74528261762&ISBN=1892941066&bfdate=10-25-2001+11:26:06.

Martin DeMers

-----Original Message-----
From: Talmadge Wright
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: Arundhoti Roy

A book I have heard no one mention on this list, and which I have found
quite informative on the conlict is: Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil &
Fundamentalism in Central Asia, by Ahmed Rashid (Yale University Press)
2000. I highly recommend this. There are several books out there on the
Taliban, but this makes a more explicit connection to the oil business and
to gender issues. It seems that when a crisis likes this strikes us, there
is a lot of breast beating and postering, but little critical analysis
from a subtle Left perspective (although there are quite a few slogans
thrown around). We need to be better informed about what we are talking
about, myself included. Confusing a moral position with critical analysis,
and then compounding it by conflating political eocnomy and culture just
adds to further misunderstandings.

* Talmadge Wright                               (773) 508-3451 *
* Dept. of Sociology/Anthropology           FAX:(773) 508-7099 *
* Loyola University Chicago                                    *
* 6525 N. Sheridan Rd.                                         *
* Chicago, Illinois 60626                                      *