Re: this is about oil. It's always about oil
by Threehegemons
17 October 2001 15:41 UTC

I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me that the bombing attack on the
Chinese embassy in Belgrade was not a mistake.  <Superficially, it seemed to
damage the U.S. government, but in reality, they might have been sending a
message to the Chinese to stop pushing so hard -- in Yugoslavia, in helping
Iraq, etc. etc. The Chinese response was relatively mild as well, as if they
were saying: "Okay, dammit, you win this round.">

Although as a general principle I believe the role of mistakes and stupidity in
history is greatly underestimated, I'm inclined to agree with Alan on this
point.  There is a longstanding tension in the American elite between those who
look to Asia, typically newer capitalists, and those who to Europe, most
prominent in the military establishment(s)(as matters of emphasis--the US in
general would like to control everything everywhere, but one does choose
priorities among allies).  Perhaps the 'accidental' China embassy bombing was a
way for the latter to say to the former--we are in charge.

For more theories, go to the project censored website (www.projectcensored.org)

Steven Sherman