Re: Mysterious war etc etc etc...
by Andre Gunder Frank
26 September 2001 18:39 UTC

I concurr 1`,000 percent. today i asked to be un-subed from one of
these that sent me something directly, to which i never sub-ed in the fist
place. but of couorse that does not protect us from the same bomardement
from the same initiating sources when they use wsn as intermediary --
unless we un-sub from wsn as well, for which there are more and more
reasons in themselves, including but not only, the ones Ballinger
mentions as well. We do NOT wish to censure, soI have written to wsn about
unwelcome/useless discussions among 3 or 4 of our fellow wsn'ers and
proposed that they ve invited to set
up their own discussion net [such as i have with my family]. that has not
happened[maybe they have, but they still do the same via wsn].
I now request - if it is technically possible, and if not, to MAKE it so -
that wsn filter out msgs that are sent by OTHER LIST-SERVES, and not by
individual wsn members. [I aos observed that about the only wsn msg that
are worth getting are those from Arno Tausch, whjo is a personal friend
and whom I am abcout to ask to send me his directly to me, so that I at
least can un-sub wsn as well and free myself from the unwanted msgs in
question. Unfortunately, I - and others? - can not do so as well with
other junke-mail/advertisements [ nor fax ones that use up our paper and
expensive ink], but I do routinely press D for both varieties [commecial
and ''personal'of the same.

respectfully submitted

gunder frank
Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Clint Ballinger wrote:

> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Clint Ballinger <clintb53@yahoo.com>
> To: wsn@csf.colorado.edu
> Subject: Re: Mysterious war etc etc etc...
>
> I signed up for the WSN. Why do I receive so much mail
> from other groups? Is this done intentionally? I do
> not appreciate having my email filled with postings
> from lists that I did not ask to be on.
> There is a ridiculously small amount of information on
> this list directly related to WS research, and I have
> been very dissappointed and feel mislead. Worse, the
> information that is here, even if not directly related
> to WS research, might still be worthwhile were it to
> meet minimum standards of intellectual and academic
> quality. It emphatically does not.
>
> Clint Ballinger
>
> PS This is not a response against Carlile's posting
> per se. I agree with some of it, although it is just
> as simplistic as right wing pro war rhetoric. The
> point is, I can get simplistic left and right views
> about current events anywhere on the net. I cannot
> easily find quality WS research anywhere.
>
> --- Karl Carlile <dagda@eircom.net> wrote:
> > The war that Washington is to wage is a war that we
> > are not just expected to support.
> > It is demanded by Uncle Sam that we support it. Yet
> > this is a war that none of us
> > know anything about --except the Pentagon. We are
> > expected to support is a war the
> > aims, strategy and tactics of which we know nothing.
> > We are expected to put lives at
> > risk and support the loss of lives for a war about
> > which we are told nothing. Many of
> > the states signing up for this war know little or
> > nothing about what kind of war this
> > is going to be. They cannot be even sure as to what
> > the targets are. What a
> > contradiction. What kind of states sign up under
> > such conditions? Clearly they are
> > venal states that dont really concern themselves
> > with the human consequences of such
> > a war. All such states think about is there short
> > term survival even if it means the
> > loss of thousands of civilian lives, mass starvation
> > and dislocation. No doubt some
> > of them have been offered some carrots in return for
> > their co-operation. They are
> > prepared to thousands of civilians put at risk for a
> > carrot or two. It is an
> > indication too of the power of an imperialism that
> > can coerce states into signing up
> > to a war concerning which they know nothing. Clearly
> > this  is  a cause of concern as
> > much as, if  not more, than the attack on the
> > Manhattna WTC.
> >
> > Regards
> > Karl Carlile (Communist Global Group)
> > Be free to join our communism mailing list
> > at http://homepage.eircom.net/~kampf/

> Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger.
>http://im.yahoo.com

                    ANDRE  GUNDER  FRANK
Department of History                      Home
University of Nebraska Lincoln [UNL]       4440 North 7th Street
612 Oldfather                              Apt. 107
P.O. Box 880327                            Lincoln, NE 68521 USA
Lincoln, NE 68588-0327                     Tel: 1-402-742 7931
Tel: 1-402-472 3251=direct 2414=Dpt        Fax: 1-402-742 7932
Fax: 1-402-472 8839
E-Mail: franka@fiu.edu          Web Page: csf.colorado.edu/agfrank/