On events of short and long duration
by Krishnendu Ray
21 September 2001 14:56 UTC

A legitimate question has been raised about the connection between
current events and world-system analysis, which I think needs a better
response than 'we are ex-Marxists, what else would you expect!'

In the first instance we are talking so much about the attack on the
WTC because many on this list live in the US. It may have nothing to
do with any particular theoretical perspective. Second, talking about
it on this list provides some therapeutic outlet for the shock and
sorrow while avoiding the excessive flag waiving that surrounds us. It
would be disingenuous to give a bigger reason than that.

Nevertheless, the question about the connection persists. And I think
world-system analysis is often weak at making the connections between
current politics, the medium term and long-term analysis. A case in
point is Wallerstein's recent piece on the WTC incidents. I think, it
is mostly generic, and what it says is 'as I have said repeatedly this
is one more sign of the coming transition.' Well and good. Sometimes
such statements can even be prophetic but there is a difference
between prophecy and analysis. It does not enable us to connect our
current position to the larger perspective, hence most commentators on
this list have resorted to listing US misdeeds in the past. That is a
good corrective but inadequate analysis.

In contrast I would argue that our political position should be a
three-pronged one. First, in the immediate context it is ok to argue
for a military/police offensive against the perpetrators on the basis
of reasonable evidence (effectively the Chinese position). That is the
basis on which the US in fact has re-invigorated its current hegemony,
even Cuba, Libya, China and Russia have joined in support. Hegemony
entails some elements of real leadership.

 Second, the above position has to be linked to two medium-term
projects: (a) no invasion of Afghanistan (for reasons of US
self-interest and the interest of the long-suffering people of
Afghanistan) and (b) US ultimatum to Israel to negotiate in good faith
with the PLO, or else face the withdrawal of US military and financial
support. This is the political occasion to pursue the medium-term
project of either prying open the US-Israel axis or making it
politically difficult to justify it to the American public. (An
invasion of Afghanistan will really be the terminal phase of US
hegemony).

Third, this is also the occasion to establish the connection between
the violence of terrorism and the silent violence of underdevelopment
in the modern world system. Each of these levels connects and
justifies the other. That is how I think world-system analysis
connects to the current events. It clarifies our perspective and
allows for certain kinds of solutions while disallowing others.

Thank you for listening.
Krishnendu Ray