Michael Hardt unplugged
by Threehegemons
05 September 2001 13:54 UTC

Yesterday I had the chance to see Michael Hardt in person at our local
anarcho-cooperative bookstore, Internationalist Books (the bookstore in 'Chapel
Hill' for Sonic Youth fans).  Although it was extremely hot and crowded, he
hung out for close to 2 hours chatting and answering people's questions.  I
have to say, for a guy whose fashionable among the post- crowd, he's very down
to earth, seemed genuinely interested in hearing people's criticisms of his
ideas, and eager to debate movement strategy with the activist types present.
He was quick to point out that 'Empire' was completed before Seattle, and in
some ways did not anticipate what has happened since then--a 'chain' of
protests in one country after another (Empire emphasizes the alleged failure of
Chiapas, Tianamen, L.A. riots to produce a chain effect).  He suggested the two
priorities for the movement were to broaden and globalize, as these protests
are mostly in the north (I was confused about this second point, sinc!
e most anti-IMF protests, partic
ularly large riots, have been in the south-he suggested that these were
ultimately localized protests, but at the same time indicated that he did not
mean we should be raising tons of money to fly in activists from Indonesia to
protest in Washington in a few weeks--so ultimately I wasn't sure what his plan
was for globalizing the movement).  He also said he has found it baffling that
the mainstream media has embraced a self-described 'communist' book.

Very interesting

Steven Sherman