new books
by Richard N Hutchinson
18 August 2001 21:34 UTC

WSN List-

In no official capacity whatsoever, I think list members would be
interested in knowing about new books by colleagues:

1)
The Evolution of Human Sociality: A Darwinian Conflict Perspective
Stephen K. Sanderson/Rowman & Littlefield

In the latest of his works of theoretical synthesis (Social Evolutionism -
1990, Social Transformations - 1995, and Macrosociology, the textbook for
undergrads), Sanderson, in a qualitative leap, makes sociobiology
central to his theory, combined with rational choice and Marvin Harris'
cultural materialism.  In a key passage (I've only skimmed so far),
Sanderson says he now sees ecological competition as a better explanation
of global stratification than neo-Marxist world-system theory.

This should prompt some rip-roaring debates!

2)
World Ecological Degradation:  Accumulation, Urbanization, and
        Deforestation 3000 B.C. -- A.D. 2000
Sing C. Chew/AltaMira Press (a division of Rowman & Littlefield)

This is an incredibly useful little book (173 pp), summarizing the
evidence of ecological degradation through the ages from a WSN-informed
perspective.  Included is a survey of the history of ecological
consciousness.  (Again, based on skimming... )

Some of you, I'm sure, will see these at the ASA book tables.

Here's to another semester and school year, with new intellectual
ammunition!

RH