Re: an absolute must for all world systems researchers
by Emilio José Chaves
15 August 2001 06:10 UTC

Dear WSNers,
About the Rodas article on distribution, after reading it, it gave me the
impression that his conclussions are quite opposed to most of those arrived
to by many researchers, it seems intended to distract the attention from the
subject, to relativise the issue on the grounds of several shortcomings
still present in WB studies and in the state of the art. IMO there have been
progresses in the tasks behind the measurement of  world income distribution
as a global systemic analysis which seem to be ignored by Rodas.
Unfortunatelly, several graphs and tables announced by his article does not
appear inside the downloaded one.
My guess is that this issue is a real weak point for neoliberal globalizers,
and they seem interested in devaluating it as a whole. In recent debates in
the colombian peace process this topic was central, I saw the tv
transmitions, and our neoliberal government experts made a very poor show,
in comparison to representatives of guerrillas and independent researchers.
Right-wing media criticized immediately those debates, and continued their
policy of hiding them by using a tv-soccer blanket show (the new people’s
opium).
If you look at posts bellow, you may read the last two posts to WSN about
it, two months ago, and then judge better. There are also very interesting
articles on the subject at the WB web place.
http://csf.colorado.edu/mail/wsn/2001/msg00892.html (Arno Tausch) 01 June
2001 08:21 UTC
http://csf.colorado.edu/mail/wsn/2001/msg00906.html (Emilio Chaves) 05 June
2001 05:45 UTC