Re: E Asia [Was: Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa]
by Threehegemons
27 July 2001 23:19 UTC

In a message dated 7/26/01 9:21:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kjkhoo@pop.jaring.my writes:

This is a very thoughtful response.  A few notes.  The fact that the three
regions are very different does not make comparisons irrelevant.  The
similarity is that all three are places where capital is accumulated in large
piles, perhaps to be used at some future date in bids for world power.  In
terms of having the money, I'm not sure what difference it makes how much of
it is through trade etc.  Although these aspects may shape how much a region
cares about the world descending into chaos.  In terms of hegemonic cycles,
wealthy, politically well developed structures are typical of runners-up--the
French, Germans, and the Spanish, rather than the hegemons, the Dutch, UK,
and US, none of whom, for good reason, are considered models of state
building.  Nor were they the intellectual and fashion pace setters for the
elite of their day.  I mention this because the world seems to be moving from
being organized around nation-states to being organized around regions.  But
while the Europeans have the politically well-developed structure, the East
Asians have the expansive region, organized around Chinese diaspora,
Japanese, and US capital.  The US, by contrast, is just incorporating Mexico
as a giant labor pool, with no vision of pulling it up to US wealth.

I think neo-liberal politics have to be distinguished in terms of their mild
version and their intense version.  In the mild version, adopted by virtually
all states in the world, there is some opening to the world market, some
effort to get their hands on foreign capital, some privatization....In the
strong version, the state is separated from the economy (never totally, which
would be impossible, but mostly).  The US has belatedly realized that elected
governments, in which all parties pretty much agree to keep their hands off
the economy, are a better guarantee of the smooth functioning of this than
militaries which might seize command of the economy.  Have any of the East
Asian states really accepted the strong version of neo-liberalism?

You mention China breaking up.  I've been hearing speculation like this since
Tianamen square--why should we believe its going to happen now?   On the
other hand, Indonesia does look pretty chaotic.  It may well provide a test
case for the 'Empire'.  Indonesia is no Yugoslovia.  Its one of the largest
countries population wise.  Should it continue along the road to chaos, it
will be interesting to see who proposes to fix things, and how they propose
to do so.

Previous hegemonic transitions have occurred in the context of interstate
struggle, fairly straightforwardly involving the struggle for territory.  I
would agree with previous discussion on this list that the struggle for
territory is no longer the struggle.  What matters is:  a.  shaping the world
economic/political scene to facilitate your model of accumulation and b.
keeping the chaos around the world in check.  Presently, the US is doing both
a and b, and the other regions seem, if not thrilled, happy enough with the
job the US (or the US/Empire, if you prefer) is doing.  The question is, does
the Us actually have the resources to handle this job indefinitely,
particularly if areas of chaos are larger than the former Yugoslovia?  If
they do not, and other powers step to the plate, how will the US respond?

Steven Sherman

<< Subj:     E Asia [Was: Re: Hardt & Negri on Genoa]